Millbrae California History
A rare lightning strike has sparked several vegetation fires in California's Millbrae County. A three-acre wildfire has been reported near the town of Middletown, south of the southern border of San Bernardino County.
The land originally belonged to Jose Antonio Sanchez, who took it in 1835, when a rebellion in Sonoma that led to the founding of the Bear Republic led him and his father to sell the entire land to a San Francisco-based trading company controlled by William Howard Taft, one of California's most influential businessmen.
He and his team now run their own real estate agency and have grown to the point where they can provide more information about the history of the bear republic than any other local entrepreneur in the area. Since the city of San Francisco buys a large part of its land, he could make a lot of money from it.
In the 1950s, the real estate agent lived in the station neighborhoods, and as suburban sprawl spread across the Bay Area after the war, Paul W. Trousdale Construction Co. bought most of the property. He later leased the space to tenants, including the Burlingame Chamber of Commerce, from 1987 to 2011. Over the years, he sold the acreage to a number of local companies, as well as to the City of San Francisco and the State of California.
This failure led to the establishment of the Millbrae Historical Society, which was founded in 1970 by committed citizens with foundation documents. Efforts to save the original Sixteen Mile House led to the historic building, which became the Millbraa Historical Museum, and its current location in Burlingame. A successful effort by a group of residents and local business owners to save the historic Fourteenth Street Station House, the first of its kind in San Francisco, has led to a successful attempt to save it. An unsuccessful attempt by some local businesses and residents to save the original Six 16th Street station building led to an unsuccessful attempt to save the historic building, which has since become the Mills History Museum.
Millbrae Historical Society was founded to save the original 16 Mile House, located at El Camino Real and Center Streets, from demolition in the hope of reusing the Grade II listed building as a museum. The building was closed and the Burlingame Historical Society approached Caltrain to create a local museum in the building.
In the 1860s Half Moon Bay was known as the Spanish Town, and the nearest village to what is now Millbrae was on the banks of San Bruno Creek and was known as Urebure or Siplichiquin. One road led across Pilarcitos Creek into the Pacific Ocean and HalfMoon Bay, another into San Francisco Bay. In an attempt to appeal to SF voters, it was described as a "small town" with a population of about 1,000 people and an average income of $10 a day.
In 1910, the annexation of the city of Easton created the central section of Burlingame, stretching from Sanchez Creek in the south to Mills Creek in the north. The northernmost section, Burlingame, was built on the banks of San Bruno Creek at the intersection of Mills and Pilarcitos.
When the Mexican Empire took power in 1822, he continued to serve until 1834, when he served 45 years and retired as the owner of Rancho Buri, or "Buri - Buri," which stretched from South San Francisco to Adeline Drive in Burlingame. He inherited from Mildrots grandfather the part that is now Millbrae, as well as a part of San Bruno Creek in the north and the southernmost part. The ranchos were divided among his 10 children, with the southernmost parts going to his sons Jose and Isidro.
He also founded his own tram service, which went into operation in 1913 and ran from Carmelita Avenue to California Drive, from Hillside Drive to Alvarado Avenue to attract settlers.
When the tram that connected the city with San Francisco and San Mateo was built at the turn of the century, it became so big that it was called Mills, which brings together the English names Mills and Brae (meaning rolling hill) and Mills (mill) in Spanish. More than 40 trams passed through Millbraa in the 1930s and 1940s, some connected to the cities of San SF, San Jose, Oakland, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz, while others traveled to Millrae on their way to other cities in California and the Bay Area, such as Los Angeles and Los Gatos. More than 40 trams passed through Millbrao in the 1930s and 40s as part of their connection between the cities of San Francisco, Los Jose and California, as well as the city and Santa Barbara County.
The city grew slowly until 1906, when the earthquake and fire in San Francisco sent hundreds of people searching for a safe place to live.